Travel and Quarantine Requirements
Travel and Entry Requirements
- Vietnam allows limited commercial flights to Guangzhou (China), Taipei (Taiwan), Seoul (South Korea), Tokyo (Japan), Phnom Penh (Cambodia) and Vientiane (Laos).
The visa exemption scheme remains suspended for all foreign nationals. Travellers need an immigration approval and a visa sponsored by their host company to enter Vietnam.
The following can enter Vietnam following quarantine and other health requirements:
- Vietnamese citizens;
- Foreigners such as diplomats, business experts, investors, business managers, high-skilled workers and their family members
Short-term business travellers entering Vietnam for less than 14 days is not required to undergo a 14-day quarantine provided that they tested negative from COVID-19. However, they must comply with all other health measures and must follow their scheduled itinerary.
Travellers from Vietnam may enter Singapore through an Air Travel Pass provided that they have stayed in Vietnam for the last 14 days prior to their entry on a direct flight to Singapore. They must undergo a COVID-19 PCR test at the airport, in lieu of a Stay-Home Notice.
From 1st November, Vietnam and Japan have agreed to lift mandatory quarantine for short-term visits for business people and officials. However, this will be done as per strict health protocols including testing and medical surveillance.
New and renewal work permit applications are being accepted with the exception of Chinese e-passport holders.
An approval from the People's Committee and Department of Health is currently required for the submission of the Entry Visa at the immigration office for foreign employees.
Vietnam’s Immigration Department announced another automatic visa extension until November 30, 2020 for foreigners who entered since 1 March and are stuck in the country due to the pandemic. Individuals in this qualifying group may exit Vietnam during this period without having to apply for an extension of stay.
- Domestic travel may require a 14-day quarantine depending on rules in each province/city.
Quarantine and Health Requirements
- Incoming travellers must present a negative RT-PCR test result issued 3 days prior to travel and are required to test again upon arrival in Vietnam. They are also required to undergo 14 days quarantine at centralized government facility or a designated hotel. After serving the mandatory quarantine, the individuals may be under medical surveillance for another 14 days.
From the airport, travellers must proceed directly to the designated quarantine facility with an arranged medical transportation.
- During quarantine, another two quick COVID-19 tests are required by the Ministry of Health which will be conducted by medical staff from a partnered hospital of the quarantine place where foreigners are staying. First test is done on the second day of stay and the second test will be taken on the 12th day of stay. The cost is shouldered by the traveller and must be paid in advance to the arranged quarantine hotel prior to entering Vietnam.
Foreign workers should have international health insurance with COVID-19 coverage in case they are infected during their stay in Vietnam.
Updated as at 23 November 2020
Disclaimer: Due to COVID-19, there has been a constant change in terms of work permit process, timeline, travel restrictions, quarantine period, medical tests as well as insurance requirements etc. All these requirements can change by the respective authorities in both country of work and candidate’s home country from time to time. The process, timeline and costs that Innovare provides is a guideline and is subject to change if any process is being changed. While every reasonable effort has been made to ensure its accuracy at the time of communication, Innovare cannot guarantee nor be liable for such change in timeline or costs arising from any pandemic related factors so please take note of the potentially volatile situation during this period.